Wednesday, July 15, 2009

it's hammer time

Actually, it's pea time, but "Hammer Time" sounds much cooler. If you're stuck in 1990. Otherwise, it just sounds dated.

Anyway, it's pea time.

I have a new theory about peas, which is that they are so delicious fresh, a couple of wizards decided to freeze them and can them, thereby making them no longer delicious and giving them the bad rep they have today. Which is a shame, because fresh peas are like candy. Candy that's good for you! So let's not be stuck in 1952, when frozen peas were first marketed by nonwizard Clarence Birdseye. Or worse, when Donald Suckass invented canned peas, whenever that was.

I was so busy earlier today I didn't have time to both shell and cook them, so I snacked on them raw.


Tonight on the phone with Mojie I asked if she thought ever-so-slightly steamed fresh peas with a little butter sounded good. "Frankly, no," she said. But she was wrong. In the words of a great rapper/reverend/dancer/bankruptcy filer, "Can't touch this."

1 comment:

  1. I also disagree with Mojie on this one - they sound & look wonderful.

    I'm also a big fan of fresh brussel sprouts cooked the same way. If I liked liver & onions, I would say I'm well on my way to becoming a smelly old man. For now, I'm content knowing that I can cook anything sold at Farmer's Market with a little olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper....

    ReplyDelete