Tuesday, August 4, 2009

at last, summer

It's August, and summer has finally rolled her lazy ass into Vermont for a brief stay before it starts to snow again.


Which means I'm not doing much cooking.

Heirloom tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, basil, and Doe's Leap feta.

Mostly I'm eating creemees (to make up for all the creemees I didn't eat in June and July, when it rained every single day and the temperature rarely got above 70 degrees) and farmers booty in simple forms.

Baby artichokes, steamed and sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic, and white wine.

So I've got nothing much to offer you in the form of recipes or tales of eating. I suggest you console yourself with a creemee.

I know I'm going to.

5 comments:

  1. Farmers booty in simple forms is the best, in my opinion. Complicating vegetables should be left to Wintertime, when tomatoes are the color of Kleenex and zucchini are grotesquely large.

    Those artichokes look especially tempting, so I may just have to try them. Never fear, GFD Inc., even your most basic tales of eating are appealing to this reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A creemee? What's a creemee? I've never even heard of that before! And I certainly haven't had any yet this summer no matter what you've heard!...or seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The artichokes look spectacular. The problem is that my experience of eating them this way is one of a sort of vegetarian beef jerky: flavor great, texture ropy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my whole family scoffs at me for loving the vanilla cremee with the "chocolate" that hardens when cremee is dipped. the best. love those. may have to get one right now. Life is short, eat dessert first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Mark, I didn't find them particularly ropy, but if in doubt, I suggest following Kath's advice: Eat dessert first. Especially if dessert is a creemee. Not ropy at ALL.

    Kath, I scoff at anyone who scoffs at chocolate dip. For example, my husband.

    ReplyDelete